- College Readiness & Access
- Affordability & Financial Aid
- College Admission & Completion
- Affinity Network
- Get Involved
Colloquium 2012 Post-Colloquium Leadership Workshop
DateMonday, January 9, 2012 - 12:30pm - 3:00pm
Join us at the College Board Colloquium 2012 for a special Post-Colloquium Leadership Workshop.
Just When You Thought Things Were Settled…: A Law and Policy Update, Including an Overview of Significant Court Developments and an Introduction to Important Professional Development Resources from the Access & Diversity Collaborative
The Access & Diversity Collaborative is pleased to offer this special leadership workshop at Colloquium 2012 at an important time in the evolution of federal law regarding race-conscious enrollment policies and practices.
Recently the Fifth Circuit Court in Texas rejected a suit brought against the University of Texas at Austin (Fisher v. University of Texas) which challenged their fair and appropriate use of race-conscious admissions policies consistent with the 2003 Supreme Court rulings. Despite that rejection, the plaintiff filed an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court this September contending that the Fifth Circuit panel misread Grutter and that the Court should clarify and reconsider its ruling. Should the Court add this case to their docket, a decision would likely occur before the end of the term in June 2012.
In light of these actions, no time is more important than now to re-visit this issue and learn how to use newly developed resources to assist your institution with its enrollment diversity goals.
This leadership workshop will feature:
- Updates and guidance regarding the Fifth Circuit case and other recent federal court developments associated with the potential unlawfulness of voter initiatives that ban consideration of race, ethnicity and gender among public higher education institutions, and key steps to consider when developing race-, ethnicity-, and gender-conscious policies and programs associated with access and diversity goals; and
- An introduction and overview of new Access & Diversity Collaborative resources, which have been developed for use in conjunction with higher education institution professional development activities and awareness building efforts. These materials include a number of important publications and two recently released videos that provide important guidance on issues of access and diversity on college campuses.
Visit the Access & Diversity Collaborative for more information at http://diversitycollaborative.collegeboard.org.
Visit the Colloquium at http://colloquium.collegeboard.org.